There is a chance many of you have thought, “When are the Vana’s going overseas? What are they still doing in Reno?”
Well, I am glad you asked those questions!!!
The process to get to the mission field has taken longer than we had hoped, but we are confident the day is quickly approaching. We can’t wait to take that huge leap of faith and leave all we know behind! Here is the current plan…as far as we know…
- We will be in the Reno/Sparks area through the rest of 2013. We are staying connected with our church family at Summit Christian Church, working at Trader Joe’s, doing some flight instruction, and getting good time as a family. We will also use this time to start raising financial support and build a team who will help provide emotional and prayer support while we are on the mission field.
- On January 13th, 2014…wait for it…we will start Candidacy with MAF!!! This is a two week process where we will learn about MAF’s beginning, where and what they have done, and where they are headed in the future. During the middle of the second week, we will sit down with the Candidate Committee and determine where the Vana’s will serve their first term! Yahoo!
- The next two weeks are Deputation. This is when we will learn how to raise support and create ministry partnerships with individuals and churches (something that we hope to be doing this Fall!!!)
- After the training we will put our full-time efforts into ministry partnership. If all goes well, then we may be able to start the 8-week Standardization. Standardization is the process through which MAF to trains me, Phil, to fix and fly the MAF way.
- Now, I know that most of our hopeful/expecting time-lines haven’t worked out the way we planned, but we are hoping we can depart for the mission field some time next Fall. It is in the Lord’s hands, as it always has been, and we are excited for the future and excited about the opportunities in front of us!
So, we are ready to take the Leap and we know the time is a few short months away.
As I think about the situation we are in, I am tempted to find a way to rush things and get to where we are going. But, I am reminded of Psalm 16:6, “The boundary lines have fallen for me in pleasant places; surely I have a delightful inheritance.” (NIV) The reason I think of this verse is because we are certain God has given us this time to grow together as a family and learn how to be a blessing no matter where we are! God has us right where He wants us. The name of the game is faithfulness and humility.
Our family is doing well. Jessica is an amazing mother and I am proud of how hard she works every day. Adelina loves going to school two mornings a week, Jeremiah loves tearing around the house and learning new words, and Solomon loves to eat and sleep. He has started to look around and take in his surroundings, and coo when it pleases him to do so!
We are content with where we are and we wait expectantly for the days to come!