At a leadership conference I was asked to play a game. The speaker told us to close our eyes. With eyes closed he asked us to make a list of everything in the room that was the color red. We all struggled to come up with four or five thing that were red and then we were told to open our eyes. With eyes now open we were told once again to notice things that were red. We couldn’t believe it. Red was all around us. The point of the exercise was this: whatever you tell yourself to be on the lookout for, that’s what you’ll see. For the rest of the day red was popping out everywhere just begging to be noticed.
As you come to church each weekend…
1. Get to church 15 minutes early to make yourself available for God to use.
2. Look for a new, disoriented face.
3. Share encouragement with people.
4. Ask people questions and listen well.
5. Be positive, tell jokes, be of good cheer.
6. Laugh a lot and produce laughter.
7. Introduce people to other people.
8. Create energy in the Worship Service by participating.
9. Look around you and ask who God wants you to introduce yourself to.
10. Greet people around you.
1. Go to your seat and wait for the service to “start”…it’s already started.
2. Go to your familiar friends and huddle up by yourselves.
3. Immediately leave and go home after the service…mingle.
4. Bury your head in your bulletin and keep to yourself.
5. Think about yourself and your needs…think about the needs of others.
As we continue to expand, we will need more people to step up with their personalities, gifts and attitudes. The growth is always exciting, but there has to be an intentional spirit that creates life and culture.
I think that’s us. Strike that. I know that’s us.
Thanks for being the backbone, torso, guts and heartbeat of our body. I lean on your leadership.”
Now is that a good word, or what?!?! I read this again and consider it a good word as we prepare to serve overseas. It’s basic servant-leadership but it has the power to make each of us missionaries, right here, right now.
May you be encouraged and may you see opportunities this week to implement this pastor’s good advice.
Oh, and if you pray for us, we’d be super blessed to have prayer in the following areas.
1. We used to have a little friend called “sleep.” Where oh where did he go?
2. For God to bless us with wisdom and favor in all our endeavors.
3. That we would make the very, very most of our time here in the states before going overseas.
4. That God would help us be super-intentional in sharing Christ with our children.
5. That we would be a blessing to our friends, family, and church.